Pennsylvania: Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Statewide Toll-Free Hotline 1-866-857-7095
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to communicate with the helpline may call PA Relay Services by dialing 711.
LIHEAP helps families living on low incomes pay their heating bills in the form of a cash grant. Crisis grants also are for households in immediate danger of being without heat. With cash grants, a one-time payment is sent directly to the utility company/fuel provider and will be credited on your bill. Cash grants range from $200 to $1,000 based on household size, income, and fuel type. Remember: This is a grant and does not have to be repaid.
If you believe you are in a heating crisis, contact your local county assistance office (CAO). A listing of CAOs and other helpful information can be found at: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/ Services/Assistance/ Pages/LIHEAP.aspx
Apply online at www.compass.state.pa.us. Applications are also available at your local county assistance office.
How do I apply?
- Apply online at: www.compass.state.pa.us
- Request an application by calling the Statewide LIHEAP Hotline at 1-866-857-7095 or call PA Relay at 711 for the hearing impaired.
- Applications are available at your local CAO
To apply, you will need
- Names of people in your household
- Dates of birth for all household members
- Social Security Numbers for all household members
- Proof of income for all household members
- A recent heating bill
After your application is processed, you will receive a written notice that will tell you if you qualify. If eligible, it will tell you the amount of your grant.